Getting horse to bend correctly

AmandaC

Getting horse to bend correctly

Post by AmandaC »

I'm not much of a dressage person but I have always struggled to get my Mare to bend correctly, this is normally commented on on her dressage tests as as well. When I am schooling her (well trying), she tends to bend more to the outside and I struggle to correct this. Understand this is due to my lack of ability but is there any advice you could give on how I can work on correcting this?
Warren

Re: Getting horse to bend correctly

Post by Warren »

Hi
Firstly it's great that you are getting out there and having a go.
You can use dressage test comments as training notes, they do tell you where you need to improve.
The first thing you should check is yourself. Start a self check list, in a straight line do you have an even contact in both reins , are your shoulders and hips square with the horses shoulders and hips? When you turn, are you turning and getting the horse to follow you or are following the horse?
Next , we ride our horses from inside leg to outside rein. Think of the bend in the horse through its whole body so that you get the feeling of bending through your inside leg.
Serpentines are great exercises to help the horse bend both ways. Try doing plenty of these then move to circles.
Practice this, check your position and adjust if it feels wrong and I'm sure your scores will improve.
Let me know how it goes.
Have a great ride

Warren
AmandaC

Re: Getting horse to bend correctly

Post by AmandaC »

Thank you for explaining this so well, I struggle to understand things sometimes but this makes alot of sense. I know that I have alot of work to do on my position, so I will definitely be trying these things out.