Grid work

AmandaC

Grid work

Post by AmandaC »

Our pony has been out of work for the last few weeks due to being lame, however he seems to have improved now and I would be interested in setting up a simple grid for my daughter to use with her pony, would appreciate some advice on how I would go about setting up a grid for them.
Warren

Re: Grid work

Post by Warren »

Hi
No problem
Setting up some grids to bring a pony or horse back into work is not difficult. Use a long tape measure until you are confident in knowing what the length of your walking stride is and then you can pace it out.
Start with a crossbar with a placing pole in front at approximately 2.3mtrs, 1 canter stride 5---5.2mtrs to a vertical. Not too high to start. And then approximately 6mtrs to an oxer. Perhaps having the oxer slightly ascending. This is a good basic grid. Build up slowly in height. Grids don't need to be high, they are a gymnastic exercise and great for developing good technique, confidence and rythm. Distances are a guide only. You may need to shorten or lengthen depending upon the size and stride length of your pony.
This will get you started.
Enjoy and keep me posted.
Warren
AmandaC

Re: Grid work

Post by AmandaC »

Thank you, explained well, looking forward to giving this a go!

Amanda