Grass effected OTTB

AmandaC

Grass effected OTTB

Post by AmandaC »

We have a horse grazing at our property he is a 16.2hh OTTB. He seems to get really grass effected, not only in spring but whenever there is new growth (which has been on and off since Spring). He gets very excitable during this time and becomes a bit of a handful, goes back to normal once he is off the grass or there is very little grass in the paddock. When we keep him off the grass he is much better but this is not always possible. He is currently on SOS which helps a bit to take the edge of but is also quite expensive, do you have any products that could help with this issue?
Warren

Re: Grass effected OTTB

Post by Warren »

Hi
Interesting question, just to check that he does or doesn't have diarrhoea.?
Horses have a complex system and some are affected by richer grasses differently to others. Either way its about finding a good balanced diet.
I recommend Nutri-Gard and Linseed oil has a start. 60mls Linseed oil and 60g Nutri-Gard daily. These will support good gut health and aid digestion of the feed intake. If necessary add Nutri-Calm, 50mls daily, has magnesium, vitamin B and L-Tryptophan. Helps calm the muscles if the horse becomes a little bit of a handful.
Hope this helps.
Keep me posted

Warren.
AmandaC

Post by AmandaC »

Thanks Warren,

No Diarrhea noticed during this time. We will get him started on what you have suggested. Just wanted to check though, when you mentioned Linseed Oil would that be the Kentucky Karron? Also, cant seem to find Nutri-Gard?

Appreciate the advice.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hi
Nutri-gard is on its way.
Kentucky Karron oil will help as well, flaxseed oil for essential omega 3 and 6 for digestive health. 60mls in feed daily.

regards

Warren
ShawnK

Post by ShawnK »

AmandaC wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:16 pm Thanks Warren,

No Diarrhea noticed during this time. We will get him started on what you have suggested. Just wanted to check though, when you mentioned Linseed Oil would that be the Kentucky Karron? Also, cant seem to find Nutri-Gard?

Appreciate the advice.
It's a good thing there was no diarrhea. Because I have seen diarrhea in some horses. I guess it's some kind of a particular characteristic of the horse. It's probably not digested well in everyone. :ugeek: I'll let you know later how many horses have had these symptoms.